Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

On Expectant Fathers

Welcome to the journey of fatherhood. As an expectant dad, so many thoughts would be going through your mind viz: how will I receive the new baby? Will I make a good dad? What is my expected role? Will I be supportive enough? Will I still be getting enough attention from my wife? What does the society expect from me, etc? Not to worry you are not alone on this. The key to these questions and even more lies with being involved as much as possible from the onset of the pregnancy and you will be so amazed how everything would fall in place once the baby arrives. There is no joy that surpasses that first feeling of holding your baby in your arms!


Here are some useful tips that could help answer your worries:
  • Accompany your partner to some of her antenatal appointments; though you might feel a little bit awkward, it would help you understand her better and help you get better acquainted with fatherhood.
  • Be a little more patient with her. The whole journey could be overwhelming for her. Keep reassuring her.
  • Support your partner and work together to raise your baby, this can be by:
    • Helping change diapers
    • Talking to her while she wakes to feed the baby, note that even though you have work in the morning, your partner also has to spend the day caring for your child and is a job itself!
    • Helping around the house with little chores
    • You can also help bottle feed the baby (if he is on formula); you cannot imagine the feeling of satisfaction that would give you.
  • Spend time and interact with your baby regularly: play with him, cuddle him, sing to him and hold his hands while you talk to him
  •  Stay connected with your wife; appreciate her as you used to even before pregnancy
  • Remember do not lose out on your social life. When you start your family you will find out that your life has changed permanently. While it is essential that you bond with your family by spending quality time with them, it is also necessary to keep sometime for your friends.


2 comments:

  1. Attractive section of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to say that I get
    in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing in your feeds or even I success you access constantly rapidly.
    My web page - diets that work fast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that thumbs up. I appreciate. You may also search the blog using the search button on the right hand corner for other related issues of interest.

      Delete