Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

What really lives in your belly button - researchers reveal 'rainforest' of bacteria


Navels harbour an ecosystem of bacteria, which is similar in their biodiversity to the world's rainforests, a new study claims. After two years of quite literal navel gazing, U.S. researchers found 2,368 species of bacteria, 1,458 of which may be new to science. Just eight of these species were found in more than 70 per cent of individuals sampled. However, questions remain as to what factors govern which species will be found on which people.
It's a jungle in there: Researchers investigating bacterial life in our belly buttons have found they harbour ecosystems similar to those found in the world's rainforests
It's a jungle in there: Researchers investigating bacterial life in our belly buttons have found they harbour ecosystems similar to those found in the world's rainforests




'The common, abundant species are from a relatively small number of evolutionary lines, indicating that they have evolved traits that make them at home on human skin,' said Rob Dunn of North Carolina State University. However, we are still trying to figure out what determines which of these species are found in a given person’s belly button. We’ve looked at sex, age, ethnicity and a number of other factors — none of them are predictive of which species live in that person.'

Dr Dunn and his team say they have swabbed more than 500 belly buttons over the past two years, but concentrate on just 60 individuals for their study published last week in the open-access journal PLoS One. The researchers launched their project in part to investigate claims over recent years that the collection of organisms on human skin forms our first line of defence against pathogens. 'We know that without these microbes our immune systems won’t function properly,' Dr Dunn said in a statement. 'In fact, this collection of microbes must have a certain composition — must form a certain microbial ecosystem — in order for our immune system to function properly. 'This work is a significant step toward helping us understand which species are the most important players in those ecosystems.'
 Aerobic: Like us Micrococcus species need oxygen to survive
Aerobic: Like us Micrococcus species need oxygen to survive. They are unlikely to do well too deep inside a belly button, but on the surface they thrive. They can deal with drought and long periods of starvation, predisposing them to a life spent clinging to our desert-dry flesh
Clostridia
Some Clostridia species are bad news (think botulism), but most of these anaerobic bacteria are harmless or even beneficial. Microbes of this group may be urging themselves across your skin right now, heading from inhospitable ground in a direction their senses tells them might be a better, like your belly button or your ear


The bizarre idea to probe the biodiversity of belly buttons started about two years ago with an undergraduate student's idea to sample a colleague's navel bacteria for a holiday card.National Geographic reported how the idea struck a chord with academics at NC State, which had just adopted a new focus on trying to get the public interested and involved in their work.

SOME SURPRISING RESULTS

SOME SURPRISING RESULTS

As part of their research the Belly Button Diversity team recruited a range of volunteers - and got some unexpected results.
Science writer Carl Zimmer, was hosting at least 53 different species, some of which had some surprising provenance.
After he got his results, he wrote: 'Several species I've got, such as Marimonas, have only been found in the ocean before.
'I am particularly baffled that I carry a species called Georgenia. Before me, scientists had only found it living in the soil. In Japan.'

As part of their research the Belly Button Diversity team recruited a range of volunteers - and got some unexpected results. Science writer Carl Zimmer, was hosting at least 53 different species, some of which had some surprising provenance. After he got his results, he wrote: 'Several species I've got, such as Marimonas, have only been found in the ocean before. 'I am particularly baffled that I carry a species called Georgenia. Before me, scientists had only found it living in the soil. In Japan.' 'The idea was simple. We would culture the bacteria of people’s belly buttons to provide folks with a visual measure of the life on them, a reminder of the mysteries everywhere,' Dr Dunn wrote in a Scientific American guest blog post. He added: 'We quickly found that peoples’ belly buttons differed in terms of which species live in them. They differed more than we expected. We were intrigued and so we decided to get a little more serious about our study.'


The NC State team asked volunteers to place long cotton swabs in their navels and twist them around three times. They then placed the swabs in vials and grew the bacteria in cultures. Once the cultures grew big enough, they were photographed and processed using high-throughput genetic sequencing to identify each of the phylotypes (species) present and how prevalent each phylotype was. For the purposes of this study, a phylotype was defined as an organism whose sequence in the 16s rDNA gene (essentially the microbial fingerprint gene) varied from other organisms by at least 3 per cent.

Staphylococcus 
Bacillus
Yuck: Staphylococcus bacteria, left, and the antibiotic Bacillus bacteria are two other species of tiny bugs that were regularly found in the belly buttons of volunteers who gave samples to the study

The study identified 2,368 different phylotypes but only eight phylotypes - which the team dubbed 'oligarchs' - were found on at least 70 per cent of the study participants. Those eight phylotypes - including varieties of Staphylococci, Corynebacteria, Actinobacteria, and Clostridiales, and Bacilli - were also among the most abundant, accounting for almost 50 percent of the total abundance of bacteria in the samples.

Altogether, the researchers found that the average bellybutton among study participants contains 67 different phylotypes of bacteria. Dr Dunn told National Geographic: 'That makes the belly button a lot like rain forests.' He explained that in any rainforest the range of flora will vary but scientists can count on a certain few dominant tree types present. He added: 'The idea that some aspects of our bodies are like a rain forest—to me it's quite beautiful. And it makes sense to me as an ecologist. I understand what steps to take next; I can see how that works.' The next step for the Belly Button Diversity project is to work out why certain types of bacteria appear in certain people's navels. By examining the rest of their samples they will begin trying to correlate the wildlife found there with factors ranging from the subjects' places of birth to the characteristics of their immune systems.

Source: Daily Mail UK

Please share

26 comments:

  1. For most recent news you have to pay a quick visit world-wide-web and on web
    I found this site as a finest web page for newest updates.

    Visit my wesbite at liposuction exercise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is getting
    more from this site, and your views are good for new people.
    Visit my website at rolety okienne allegro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Appreciate it!Visit my website at projekty domów czterospadowych

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go
    for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Appreciate it!Visit my website at projekty domów czterospadowych

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having read this I believed it was really informative.
    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time
    both reading and posting comments. But so what,
    it was still worthwhile!Visit my website at karnisze olkusz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be
    running off the screen in Safari. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.
    Many thanksVisit my wesbite at liposuction Phoenix Az

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is just
    cool and i could assume you're an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.Visit my website at rolety castorama

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people
    could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?Visit my website at sofa Cushion covers ;
    -)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% sure.

    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate itVisit my website at ubezpieczenia turystyczne warta

    ReplyDelete
  10. This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep
    a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
    almost...HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say,
    and more than that, how you presented it. Too
    cool!Visit my website at laminate flooring leeds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to
    your webpage? My blog site is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my
    visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!Visit
    my website at ubezpieczenia mieszkania ranking

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I
    provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog site is in
    the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors
    would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!Visit my website at ubezpieczenia mieszkania ranking

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your means of telling the whole thing in this article is truly good, all can simply understand it, Thanks a
    lot.Visit my website at szafki varius koło

    ReplyDelete
  14. Highly energetic post, I loved that bit. Will
    there be a part 2?Visit my website at mieszkania 5 pokojowe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site,
    how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear
    conceptVisit my website at ,drzwi przeciwpożarowe warszawa ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning story there. What occurred after? Thanks!Viist my website at leasing finansowy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep this going please, great job!Visit my website at Concordia Ubezpieczenia mieszkania

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the perfect website for anybody who really wants to understand this topic.
    You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I
    personally would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject that's been written about for ages. Excellent stuff, just excellent!Visit my website at Ecksofa ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. After looking at a number of the blog articles on your web site, I seriously like your technique of blogging.
    I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back
    soon. Take a look at my web site too and let me know how you feel.
    Visit my site at karnisze sufitowe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey very nice blog!Visit our polish website at ecommerce london expo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Unquestionably imagine that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be at the web the easiest thing to keep in mind
    of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed even as
    folks think about issues that they plainly
    do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also
    outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , people can take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. ThanksVisit my website at projekty domóW Ceny

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there fantastic website! Does running a blog such as this take a
    massive amount work? I have virtually no knowledge of coding however
    I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject however I just needed to ask. Thank you!
    Visit my website at paranormal activity 2 szafki

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or
    blog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in
    Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i am happy to exhibit
    that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most undoubtedly will make certain to do not disregard this website and provides it a look on a constant basis.Visit polish website at księgi wieczyste francuska

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your way of describing all in this post is in fact pleasant,
    all be able to easily understand it, Thanks a
    lot.Visit my website at laminate flooring expansion joint

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, I read your blogs like every week. Your writing style
    is witty, keep up the good work!Visit my website at bike jokes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its such as you read my thoughts! You appear to know
    so much approximately this, like you wrote the e book in it or something.

    I believe that you just can do with some percent to drive the message home a bit, however
    other than that, this is great blog. An excellent read.
    I'll definitely be back.Visit my website at ,drzwi przeciwpożarowe hormann cena ;-)

    ReplyDelete