Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Winter vomiting bug sweeps Britain a month early with cases already up by a quarter on last year


Thousands of people have fallen victim to the winter vomiting virus as it sweeps across Britain a month earlier than usual. The number of cases of the norovirus are higher than at any point in the last five years and has been 'above average for the past six weeks,' according to the Health Protection Agency. Cases of the rotavirus, which affects children - causing diarrhoea and vomiting - are also up by around a third, according to reports.

Spread: More than 1,200 cases of norovirus have been reported so far this year - with thousands more thought to be affected. The virus is particularly dangerous to the elderly and the very young (file picture)
Spread: More than 1,200 cases of norovirus have been reported so far this year - with thousands more thought to be affected. The virus is particularly dangerous to the elderly and the very young (file picture)


OW TO AVOID THE NOROVIRUS

The virus is easily spread by contact with an infected person, especially through their hands. 
You can also catch it through contaminated food or drink or by touching contaminated surfaces or objects.
To stop the spread...
  • Wash your hands frequently
  • Do not share towels and flannels
  • Disinfect any surfaces that an infected person has touched
If you do catch the virus, keep washing your hands and stay at home until you are clear of symptoms for 48 hour

The rise in cases is believed to be partly related to the early cold snap which has led to freezing conditions in parts of the UK, according to the Daily Telegraph. However, the exact relationship between temperature changes and norovirus is not well understood. NHS direct has also reported a jump in calls from people suffering symptoms of the two viruses, the newspaper reports. There are around 1,200 confirmed cases of the norovirus in England, although thousands more unreported cases are thought to exist, the newspaper reports. The figure is a 27 per cent rise on the same period last year. Many people suffering with the bugs are believed to have avoided seeking medical help.

The norovirus can survive for long periods outside the body, making it easy to spread. Its survival is dependent on temperature and the material it is present on. The virus can even survive for years in contaminated still water. The bug causes violent vomiting and severe diarrhoea. It can be potentially life-threatening for the old and very young children, but usually clears through the system of healthy adults in a couple of days. The virus can be spread through poor hand hygiene - with medical experts encouraging thorough handwashing to help prevent contagion. The South West, North East, South East central region, south central and Wales have all been hardest hit by the virus during the past week, according to NHS Direct. Outbreaks of the bug in hospital are also up on last year according to the Health Protection Agency.

 Source: Daily Mail UK 

Please share

24 comments:

  1. In fact when someone doesn't know then its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it occurs.

    Review my weblog ... http://ultraslimpatchblog.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, the whole thing is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that's genuinely fine, keep up writing.Visit my wesbite at liposuction houston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared this fantastic paragraph at at
    this time.Visit my website at projekty domów tanich w budowie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some really good points there. I checked on the internet for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.
    Visit my wesbite at 8 weeks post liposuction

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made some really good points there. I checked on the internet for more info about the
    issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on
    this website.Visit my wesbite at 8 weeks post liposuction

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my web site
    thus i came to go back the desire?.I'm trying to to find issues to improve my website!I guess its ok to use some of your ideas!!Visit my website at ubezpieczenia turystyczne kalkulator

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you would like to increase your know-how only keep visiting this website
    and be updated with the most up-to-date information posted here.
    Visit my website at sofia vergara ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd like to shoot you
    an email. I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.Visit my website at warta ubezpieczenia turystyczne online

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm no longer positive where you are getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or figuring out more. Thanks for magnificent information I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.Visit my website at szafki do sypialni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your
    intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving
    us something informative to read?Visit my website at mieszkania za odstępne poznań

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really impressed together with your writing talents and also with the format on your blog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great weblog like this one today..Visit my website at concordia ubezpieczenia mieszkania

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said
    "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear."
    She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched
    her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off
    topic but I had to tell someone!Visit my website at Ecksofa
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy! This article couldn't be written any better! Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I am going to send this article to him. Pretty sure he's going to have a very good read.
    I appreciate you for sharing!Visit our polish website at jak wybrać oprogramowanie sklepu internetowego

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, this weekend is pleasant designed for me, since this moment i
    am reading this wonderful informative paragraph here at my
    residence.Visit polish website at księgi wieczyste oława 3 maja

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the good works guys I've incorporated you guys to my blogroll.Visit my site at karnisze metalowe

    ReplyDelete
  16. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was entirely right.
    This submit truly made my day. You cann't believe simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!Visit my website at projekty Domów kanadyjskich

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! ThanksVisit polish website at księgi wieczyste gdańsk

    ReplyDelete
  18. For most recent information you have to pay a visit the web and on the web I found this web site
    as a most excellent site for most recent updates.
    Visit my website at szafki roca

    ReplyDelete
  19. I delight in, cause I discovered just what I was taking a look for.
    You've ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. ByeVisit my website at bike gloves

    ReplyDelete
  20. Howdy would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 different internet
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?

    Many thanks, I appreciate it!Visit my website at obrusy wielkanocne

    ReplyDelete
  21. At this time it looks like Drupal is the top blogging platform out
    there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?

    Visit my website at laminate flooring recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am truly happy to read
    all at single place.Visit my website article at sofa 68 inches

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enjoying your
    blog and look forward to new updates.Visit my website at ,drzwi przeciwpożarowe okleinowane ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the superb works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll.Visit my website at obrusy wielkanocne

    ReplyDelete