Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Nine-year-old daughter awarded as compensation after dispute between Pakistani farm worker and land owner


A Pakistani farmer has been arrested after agreeing to a village council's order to hand over his nine-year-old daughter as 'compensation'. Police in Pakistan have arrested five men after a village council demanded the little girl be married off as part of a settlement in a rape case, officers said Friday.
 Pakistani police, seen patrolling the Punjab province, arrested five men after the 'Vani' deal

Pakistani police, seen patrolling the Punjab province, arrested five men after the 'Vani' deal

A group of elders in the remote rural area of Bahalak, in the Punjab province, ended a year-long dispute between a farm worker and an influential local landowner through the illegal agreement, local police station chief Mohammad Khalid told AFP.


The worker, Arshad, who goes by one name, was accused of involvement in the abduction and rape of landowner Ali Sher's daughter, Khalid said.
'The jury on Sunday decreed that Arshad would marry (off) his daughter Sidra to Ali Sher's 22-year old son Maqsood,' he explained. 'Arshad agreed verbally but Sidra, who is too young, remains with her family,' he said. The marriage was not formalised but the village council insisted Arshad agree to pay Sher 400,000 rupees ($4,000) - a huge sum for a farm labourer in Pakistan - if he did not honour the agreement. Khalid said Arshad and four council members had been arrested.

Giving daughters away as compensation to end vendettas - a practise known as Vani - is illegal and punishable by up to seven years in jail. Pakistan is a deeply conservative country and women, especially in poor rural areas, enjoy few rights and little protection from the police. Last week a couple in Pakistan-administered Kashmir killed their 15-year-old daughter by dousing her with acid for supposedly shaming the family by looking at two boys.
 Pakistani women have very few rights when it comes to relationships and marriages

Pakistani women have very few rights when it comes to relationships and marriages

Gradually, the age of women when married has risen in Pakistan. The average age of women when they are married has increased from 16.9 years in 1951 to 22.5 years in 2005.  The overwhelming majority of marriages result in partnerships within the family, typically between cousins. Just 37 per cent of women are not related to their spouses before marriage. Because of the fierce social stigma attached to divorce, the rate of marriage breaks up is very low. The women who dare to seek a divorce risk death, as requests to break free from their partners can result in honour killings, sometimes inflicted on them by their own family.

 Source: Daily Mail UK 

Please share

24 comments:

  1. Reasons for Pain Relief Lotion before doing any practices designed to consciously yoke
    the mind so a correct manner so that your lower back
    right at the mercy of oxygen. They believe this is reflected in a noticeable difference.


    my web site; Lycan back pain doctor
    Here is my blog :: Lycan back pain doctor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on preise fettabsaugung
    bauch beine po. RegardsVisit my wesbite at liposuction tummy tuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site truly has all of the info I needed concerning this
    subject and didn't know who to ask. Visit my website at ubezpieczenia turystyczne Nnw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been surfing online more than three hours today,
    yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and
    bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever
    before.Visit my website at bike and power

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my
    iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is
    now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
    Visit my website at ociekacz do szafki 80

    ReplyDelete
  6. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a number of websites for about a year
    and am nervous about switching to another
    platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!Visit my website at
    ubezpieczenia mieszkania olsztyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also
    am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have
    developed some nice methods and we are looking to trade solutions with others, be
    sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.
    Visit my website at mieszkania 4 Pokojowe Poznań

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone loves it when individuals come together and share thoughts.
    Great blog, stick with it!Visit my website at ,drzwi przeciwpożarowe 60 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?

    There's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. CheersVisit my website at ,drzwi przeciwpożarowe t30 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from
    this website, and your views are pleasant
    in support of new viewers.Visit my website at regulamin ubezpieczenia mieszkania w pzu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is available on net?
    Visit my website at hotel 27 lipca białystok

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're a gaggle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with helpful information to work on. You've performed an impressive job
    and our whole neighborhood might be thankful to you.Visit my site at karnisze kowalski

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's an awesome article in support of all the online visitors; they will get benefit from it I am sure.Visit my website at projekty domów parterowych nowoczesnych

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm
    absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.
    Visit my website at karnisze elite

    ReplyDelete
  15. I visited various websites except the audio feature
    for audio songs current at this website is genuinely superb.
    Visit my website at bike bug

    ReplyDelete
  16. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this weblog's articles daily along with a mug of coffee.Visit my website at obrusy 24

    ReplyDelete
  17. With havin so much content do you ever run into
    any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has a
    lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any ways to help reduce content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate it.

    Visit my website at bike knicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really grateful to the owner of this web site who has
    shared this fantastic paragraph at at this place.
    Visit my website at projekty domów stylowych

    ReplyDelete
  19. Usually I do not learn post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so!
    Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, quite nice post.
    Visit polish website at księgi wieczyste międzychód

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this is one of the most vital info for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheersVisit my website at laminate flooring 12mm vs 8mm

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this
    write-up and the rest of the website is really good.Visit my wesbite at liposuction 3 weeks post op

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know this website offers quality dependent articles and
    extra data, is there any other web site which offers these kinds of data in quality?
    Visit my website at ubezpieczenia turystyczne lublin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent, what a web site it is! This weblog presents
    helpful information to us, keep it up.Visit my website at obrusy Duni

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your site.
    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hello there, You have performed an excellent job.
    I will definitely digg it and individually suggest to my friends.

    I am sure they'll be benefited from this web site.Visit my website article at sofa you love reviews

    ReplyDelete