Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mother gives birth to healthy daughter despite medics telling her TWICE that she'd lost her baby


A mother has given birth to a healthy daughter - after claiming medics told her she had lost her baby. Holly Lewis said she was twice told her unborn child would not survive during pregnancy scares at Birmingham Women’s Hospital. But now the 21-year-old from Birmingham is the proud mother of daughter Lacey.
 Holly Lewis, from Birmingham, claims she was twice told her daughter Lacey would not survive. The 21-year-old from Birmingham went on to give birth to a healthy baby daughter called Lacey (right: with elder daughter Lilly)
Holly Lewis claims she was twice told her baby would not survive. The 21-year-old from Birmingham went on to give birth to a healthy daughter called Lacey (right: with elder daughter Lilly
The little girl was born on September 29 and weighed 6lbs 3oz. 'She is my little miracle,' said Ms Lewis. 'I’m just glad she is here. I was distraught when I was told I had lost her. But I had a feeling they were wrong. I’ve already got another little girl and my earlier pregnancy meant I had an instinct I was still carrying Lacey.' The hospital said it was satisfied it had offered 'appropriate care' to Holly, whose other daughter is 19-month-old Lilly.



Ms Lewis was first referred to the hospital in February after suffering a bleed early in her pregnancy. She claimed she was told the foetus had not survived after a scan. But a blood test the next day revealed she was still pregnant. But when she again suffered bleeding, Ms Lewis said she was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. She said: 'They refused me a scan saying there was no point as it was an ectopic pregnancy.' Ms Lewis later discharged herself because she thought medics were wrong. 'I knew they were wrong because I knew the feeling of being pregnant, having had another baby.'

 On being told she had miscarried, Ms Lewis said: 'I had a feeling they were wrong. My older daughter Lilly is 19 months and my earlier pregnancy meant I had an instinct I was still carrying Lacey'

On being told she had miscarried, Ms Lewis said: 'I had a feeling they were wrong. My older daughter Lilly is 19 months and my earlier pregnancy meant I had an instinct I was still carrying Lacey'

She said she was told she was still pregnant when she rang the hospital the next day for the results of another blood test. 'I’ve never had an apology from the hospital and I’m disgusted at their actions,' she said. 'All I want is an apology to say they were wrong.They refused to offer me a second scan even though I kept asking.'
 Lacey was born on September 29 and weighed 6lbs 3oz

Lacey was born on September 29 and weighed 6lbs 3oz

Hospital chief executive Professor Ros Keeton said: 'When women come to the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit, we always explain what potentially may be causing any problems and the tests they will need to help us to make a diagnosis. 'We are always very honest with women about the range of scenarios. It is not always possible to detect a pregnancy on scanning in the very early stages and so we cannot rely on this as a definitive diagnosis. 'Women are offered a range of investigations following which, the right plan of care can be offered.
 ‘We are satisfied the care provided to Ms Lewis was appropriate and followed national best practice for early pregnancy assessment. We are obviously delighted Ms Lewis has gone on to have her baby with us.'
 

Source: Daily Mail UK 

Please share

No comments:

Post a Comment