A mother-of-two woke up in a Travelodge hotel to find her room infested with bed bugs. Debra Bratt, from Hartlepool, opened her eyes to see creepy crawlies, of all shapes and sizes, swarming all over the beds. 'It was an absolute nightmare' she said. 'To think that they had been crawling around us while we were asleep is absolutely awful and now I’m covered in these bites. We had been watching 'I’m A Celebrity' earlier in the night and when I woke up I felt like I was in a Bushtucker Trial.'
Disgusted: Mother-of-two Debra Bratt woke up to find her London hotel room swarming with bed bugs
Ms Bratt said: 'I woke up and put the light on and all three beds were covered. I was just trying to get all of the bugs off the beds but there were so many of them.' Ms Bratt says she now can’t shut her eyes at night without seeing the ‘awful’ image of the insects crawling everywhere. She later had to be treated with antibiotics after the bug bites became infected. A letter sent to Ms Bratt from the hotel confirmed that the room was found to be infested with bed bugs after an investigation. They said the room has since been treated by a pest control company and will continue to be monitored.
Shocked: Debra Bratt says she can't get the 'awful' image of the bed bugs out of her head
'Nightmare': Ms Bratt said she woke in her Travelodge hotel room in London to find creepy crawlies swarming over her bed
Ms Bratt had been visiting her younger sister, Sharon Abbey, in London with her two other sisters, Sue Cook and Julie Porritt, when their journey home encountered problems. After one tube station was closed, Mrs Bratt’s sister Sue was feeling ill and with a journey back to the other side of London to Sharon’s house not viable, they decided to book a room in the nearest Travelodge. They all went straight to bed, but when Mrs Bratt woke up in the early hours she discovered the gruesome sight. Mrs Bratt said: 'I woke Julie up straight away but I didn’t want to wake Sue up because she really hadn’t been very well at all and she needed her sleep.'
Terror: Debra said her ordeal was reminiscent of the Bug Burial recently endured by Nadine Dorris on the TV show 'I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!'
Careworker Mrs Bratt went to the hotel reception at 7am with a tissue full of the insects she found in her room. She said: 'I didn’t want to cause a scene but I explained the situation to them. The woman on reception asked me why I didn’t come and tell them straight away but I explained that my sister had been really ill and I didn’t want to disturb her, and I had some of the bugs in the tissue to show them.' Travelodge agreed to refund the sisters for the room but days later Mrs Bratt began to notice dozens of bites coming out all over her body. She was told by doctors the bites were infected, and is now on a course of antibiotics. Mrs Bratt added: “It was just an absolute nightmare.” A Travelodge spokeswoman said: 'We are doing everything we can to help the customer and we hope to be able to work with her to get an outcome she is happy with.'
Source: Daily Mail UK