Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

'A lion saved me from cancer by biting me on the breast': Safari volunteer's astonishing claim after discovering lump


A woman who volunteered to work with lions said one saved her life... after biting her on her breast.

Katie Krivan, 30, was working as a volunteer at a lion park in South Africa last year when the nine-month old cub bounded up to her and bit her. Although the bite was not serious she kept an eye on the wound and the following month discovered a lump. The next month, Miss Krivan, an investment analyst from London, was diagnosed with breast cancer and had emergency surgery four days later.
 Katie noticed her lump after she suffered a bite from a young lion at a safari park (file photo)

Katie noticed her lump after she suffered a bite from a young lion at a safari park (file photo)


She faced months of painful treatment and worry, but the condition is now in remission and she says she feels lucky to be alive. She said: 'Not many people can say a lion bite saved their life, but it is true for me.' Miss Krivan says she decided to describe her unusual ordeal as October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

She said she had never checked for signs of cancer before and, at 30, never considered she might develop breast cancer. It was only after receiving the bite in South Africa in January last year that she started to keep a close eye on skin near the wound. She said: 'I always liked big cats, so I thought it would be cool to volunteer somewhere I could be with them every day. 'The first day I was there, they took me into an enclosure and a nine-month-old lion ran up and bit me. It wasn’t serious. I just got such a shock, but it left a mark.


Katie noticed her lump after she suffered a bite from a young lion at a safari park (file photo)

'It was from checking that that I first noticed the lump and was diagnosed with breast cancer the following month. 'It was the worst day of my life. I went through all emotions at once - shock, denial, anger, hopelessness and devastation. 'I thought: "This happens to other people, not me. I’m too young."' After having surgery, she was put on a course of chemotherapy. 'I was so sick that I couldn’t even get out of bed,' she said. 'I suffered insomnia, mouth ulcers, mouth thrush, achy body, headaches and was often near to collapsing. I also lost my nice thick hair - which was devastating.'

Miss Krivan praised staff at the Haven breast cancer centre in Fulham who have supported her in her struggle to beat the disease. She added: 'Looking back, I can’t believe what I have gone through.  'People tell me I’ve coped amazingly, but the truth is that I do worry that the cancer will come back. For now though, I am just so grateful to still be alive.'

Daily Mail UK
Please share

No comments:

Post a Comment